F is for Fan Fiction and Fandoms.

The internet has to be my favorite place, I have a future A to Z post talking about it but today I wanted to cover one of the reasons why the internet has a place in my heart

FanFiction and Fandoms –

Back in 1997 when I first started using the internet, I didn’t know what fandoms or fan communities was, I was watching at the time Star Trek and I wanted to know more about the world of Trek, so I had this awesome CD ROM encyclopedia about the universe of Trek but like anything, I wanted to learn more and I used the school computers to sit and read about everything I could find..

_640x_6b5a5a3b0219c2093783f2416624487a0bc78aad45d83e8dfa8973a597ea1e88

Around 2000, I learnt of the Harry Potter fandom, which was the first time I really opened up and read fan written stories, this whole new world was created and my friends online and I made up stories of us in Hogwarts based on conversations we all had on MSN Messenger, whats rather sad is there isn’t many of these websites left to look back on and re-read all these awesome stories other people created, the only one still knocking around is Fanfiction.net which I remember having a big purge of RPF (Real Person Fiction) and removed many fan written stupid stories of their favorite actors.. it sounds horrid but honestly some are bloody funny, I used to read some fun U2 ones, nothing sexual.. just a caricature of their own personalities re-imagined by fans.

U2 had their own website in the end which has also ended up dying along with all the countless fansites.. things really do not last long on the internet..

Roughly around 2006, I discovered the wonderful world of Top Gear and the amount of people who loved the boys.. and I started using Livejournal again, finding many communities and I also found a RPF community.. full of stupid stories and the occasional… rude one.. but it was so nice to read these imaginative tales, some completely bonkers..

landscape-1465219184-clarkson-hammond-may-the-grand-tour

Fandoms are a funny thing, you will meet the crazy and then you will meet some of the best friends you’ll ever meet, like minded people and many many talented artists and writers..

I almost wish people wouldn’t criticize fan fiction or fan art and their creators.. yes you are going to find the odd crazy person, insisting that a certain character must like someone else even if its completely against canon (not true to character) but a lot of us are just like everyone else..

just a tiny bit passionate about their favorite subject..

The truth is out there..

1. August 10, 2017 / 9:18 am

I used to be a Harry Potter super fan back in the day and used to love fan fiction! I used to always pretend I was in hogwarts, and made up my own little stories. But you’re right, it’s ok to be passionate about something you enjoy! Xx

2. August 10, 2017 / 12:32 pm

I discovered the HP fandom in 2001 and like you I had no idea what fandom even was. I loved reading the stories and meeting like-minded people all over the world. It was a very special time as we waited for the next HP book to be released. I miss it.

3. August 10, 2017 / 1:56 pm

I remember when I first stumbled upon fan fiction on the internet. It was back in 2005 when I finished reading the His Dark Materials trilogy.

4. August 10, 2017 / 4:31 pm

fan fiction is amazing. I don’t really read HP fan fiction but I have heard about some of them and they’re hilarious. Lovely post! xx

5. August 10, 2017 / 5:27 pm

I’ve never read any fan fiction but I remember seeing lots about for Buffy when it was on.

6. August 10, 2017 / 6:14 pm

I’ve never read a HP book or watched a movie but my son is a big fan!! I really need to watch at least one!

7. August 10, 2017 / 7:01 pm

Omg fan fiction! I used to use live journal and buzznet to write panic at the disco fan fiction ha!

8. August 10, 2017 / 7:35 pm

Aah I loved fan fiction and MSN messenger, those were the days! I wish those websites still existed, although I’m kind of glad my teenage drivel has disappeared into the ether now!

9. August 10, 2017 / 7:36 pm

Star Trek! My brother used to watch Top Gear so much and it was definitely funny, didn’t know it had a fandom like that, though! Also I love your X-Files reference at the end!

10. August 10, 2017 / 7:55 pm

I enjoyed the Harry Potter films, although I haven’t seen it for a long time! I never read the books though so I don’t think I could be classed as a fan. It’s great to be passionate about something though! Whatever it is x

11. August 10, 2017 / 8:59 pm

Fandoms are great, so is fan fiction. 🙂

12. August 11, 2017 / 8:47 am

I’ve never been part of one but one of my friends found one of her best friends through one

13. August 11, 2017 / 1:57 pm

I haven’t really gotten into fan fiction, I hear it’s quite addicting! Great post!

14. August 11, 2017 / 9:01 pm

I love fandoms! I don’t read fanfiction, but I have friends who really enjoy it! x

15. Georgina Clarke
    August 12, 2017 / 2:37 pm

I will always have a love for Harry Potter but my absolute obsession is anything to do with The Hunger Games!

16. August 13, 2017 / 8:23 am

I’m obsessed with Harry Potter but I could never get into fan fiction! It just felt fake!