Spoon feeding – Is it a bad thing?

Those that have probably been here for a while would’ve read a few post I have made about weaning and the struggles I have had with it, at first R just wasn’t interested in food even at the 6 month recommended age to start introducing food, I don’t think she was even on solid food until she was well into 8 months..

So our weaning in general has been delayed, we started of with traditional weaning, mushed food and spoons purely because I was afraid of her choking on her food, which is fair but as she got older I decided to move into baby lead, which is basically cutting up bits of bite size pieces of food and let them get on with it.. and it was going okay for a while..

Until I took her to get weighed, now shes a tiny thing, she doesn’t weigh much at the age of 19 months old, so any weight she looses I get worried and she had lost 4 oz since last time I went along to my local health center, they did mention it and I said that she was feeding herself but because shes a child a lot of the food ends up either on her, or just the floor..

Naturally I was worried, babies aren’t really meant to loose weight, and I know shes walking and moving about,but realistically her weight should level out or gain at a slower rate, So I decided to start back at the beginning and spoon feed her, to much of her annoyance..

So far so good, She has even lost her foul mood she seemed to have developed lately so she clearly must have been hungry.

I know there has been many talks from other mothers that they feel that spoon feeding will create fussy eaters, or lack the ability to even feed themselves as they get older, but to me right now all I am worrying about is just getting her to eat her food and gain some weight back, I still let her finger eat, she has snacks and eats her breakfast on her own and of course will make a good effort in eating her yogurt after dinner, but the worry in me needed to make sure she was getting food inside her little belly.

…and I think all the white shirts are thankful for the break too!

I really don’t see any problem with spoon feeding, if it means that you know completely that something is going in and not just being thrown on the floor.. I know many will judge me for my choice in going back to helping her, she doesn’t seem to bothered by it and I am not completely feeding her, she knows how to do it herself..

It really shows how different the years have been with baby rearing and weaning, I remember with my son, which was a good 7 years ago now, that baby lead weaning wasn’t even a thing and no one told me I could try it.. roll on 8 years with a new baby and the rules have changed again.

Has anyone had any experience with switching to baby lead and noticing some weightloss? or am I worrying about nothing and should’ve let her get on with it?

Parenting is a touch little cookie!!

Until Next time

1. December 10, 2017 / 11:42 am

Have you spoken to your midwife about the weightless? I’m not sure if it’s normal because I’m doing a mix between purée and baby led. Miyah has also had so much trouble with her weight in the past x

Author
      December 10, 2017 / 12:21 pm

They didn’t seem to bothered by it when she was weighed but when I pop back there on the 21st I’ll mention it

• December 10, 2017 / 2:11 pm

Always mention it if you’re worried. Your mum, you know best x

2. December 10, 2017 / 12:06 pm

I’m not a parent but I was spoon fed for a long time for similar reasons, I wasn’t gaining a lot of weight and relatives were telling that I didn’t look ‘chubby’ but here I am! I’m pretty sure you know what to do and you’re doing a fab job so don’t worry xx

New Lune | new-lune.com

Author
      December 10, 2017 / 12:22 pm

She was just so tiny at birth, she’s probably fine but it’s more of me being a worry wart than anything

3. December 10, 2017 / 12:49 pm

The rules always seems to change without any notice but you know your munchkin best. I had to spoon feed Jaimie for quite some time and everyone had an opinion on the whole adventure. You are doing a great job! 🙂

4. December 10, 2017 / 1:46 pm

I have both spoon fed and finger fed my daughter. She is not fussy at all, I think do what’s best for you, there is no right or wrong way!!

5. December 10, 2017 / 3:34 pm

You are the mother and I think you know what’s best for your kid! I think you made the right choice. Her health overall should be priority! Good going mama!

6. December 10, 2017 / 3:36 pm

I’m not a mother myself but as long as she’s healthy I think she’ll be fine! Maybe let her feed herself every now and then just so that she doesn’t forget what it’s like haha Some babies just take a bit longer on some things, that’s what I’ve always heard! xx

DreamsAndLashes.com

7. December 10, 2017 / 4:20 pm

My motto mum knows best once your child is healthy that’s the most important thing

8. December 10, 2017 / 7:27 pm

Wait?! There are people who don’t agree with spoon feeding?! WHAT! Some people just disagree for the sake of it! My son is weaning and he’s 17 weeks – we started 2 weeks ago and he loves food! x

Author
      December 10, 2017 / 7:28 pm

There are a few who think that spoon Feeding will make a child fussy or obese, all mine have spoon fed and none of them are fussy, it’s lovely he enjoys his food! My favourite thing is dinner time with my children 🙂

9. December 10, 2017 / 7:52 pm

I have a 14 month old and I still feed him, he’s unable to feed himself with a spoon yet so I don’t see the issue. He also throws most of his food on the floor when he eats on his own so he’d starve otherwise?!

10. December 10, 2017 / 9:33 pm

Every child is different. I combination fed my daughter – who was tiny too – as I thought it was the best of both worlds. She got enought to eat from the spoon but still had good practice with the finger food. My son was completely different and just would not be spoon fed (he still won’t today at 17 months). He was however clearning entire sandwiches on his own at 6 months old!

11. December 10, 2017 / 10:47 pm

I’m not a mum, but I’d say you as her mother know best!

12. December 10, 2017 / 11:20 pm

I dont really have an opinion on this tbh but I enjoyed reading your tale on it ☺

13. December 11, 2017 / 11:41 am

There is so much judgement regarding motherhood these days, but I feel the parents know best. And under a physician’s care, it will be fine.

14. December 11, 2017 / 12:44 pm

We tried baby led weaning but I wish we’d spoon fed. It’s more reassuring that they’re getting food they need. I think we ended up doing a combination of both but it doesn’t really make a difference in the end. I don’t think it impacts on fussiness in the long run. My daughter was always quite small & I got a lot of flack from medical professionals about her losing weight. People kept telling me ‘food is for fun until they’re one’ but then when she turned one, she still didn’t eat properly. The advice changes all the time so just do what you think is best xx

15. December 11, 2017 / 7:11 pm

Sometimes I still spoon feed my daughter and she’ll be two next month!! There are so many myths and as a parent it’s easy to get caught up in them. I hope your daughter gets the hang of it! You’re doing great.

16. December 11, 2017 / 7:54 pm

Such an insightful post about parenting!

17. December 12, 2017 / 7:19 am

I agree with you that if she’s not getting the amount of food she needs to keep a balanced weight on her own then you should certainly step in with the spoon feeding! You’re right she probably has more fun throwing and dropping the food down her and on the floor! But with the spoon help at least you know she’s getting what she needs!
    Much love, Caitylis x x

Author
      December 12, 2017 / 11:20 am

I started to feel bad for spoon feeding her, i worry all the time about choking so spoon feeding felt best for us in the beginning and when she was old enough to chew i switched over, but the weightloss worried me more..

18. December 12, 2017 / 6:50 pm

It’s always hard d to know what to do for the best sometimes as a parent. Be led by the little one.