Picking a name..

The one thing my husband and I have problems with is picking a name we can both agree on, when we first met we chatted about future children and names that we both liked, I know that sounds really weird but it was a long time ago and I am not 100% sure how the conversation came up but when the time came to it, our first boy was always going to be Malachi (pronounced Mala-Kai) and after much disagreement from family members who kept calling him by his middle name of ‘Frederick’ Kai finally stuck and he suits his name..

With Amelia things were a bit different, during my pregnancy with Kai we decided and found out the gender.. but with Amelia, we did want to know and they tried to see but she had her legs crossed.. I was kinda glad we didn’t know because I worry a little about gender bias with certain people and was scared that if she was a girl, people would forget Kai existed so we sat for ages trying to figure out a girl name just in case.. and .. well she was a girl, around two weeks before the birth I was sitting on Wikipedia.. as you do.. and I was reading about a certain female aviator and suggested the name of Amelia and it stuck.

We then spent a good few years not even thinking about future names, our next boy was always planned to be called Dominic which I have always wanted to use as a name since I worked in a nursery and there was this sweet little boy with the name who really left a mark on my heart after all these years.. but we still had no name for a girl, after discovering we was expecting Robin and just after we found out her gender we settled on the name of Ruby, but there was a slight problem.. I started to hate the way people said it, something just didn’t sit right with me so I suggested to change it, keep with a R name and just not share it with anyone but the only problem was that there aren’t many R names that we liked..

While at a family dinner Mr S and I stood at the patio doors looking out at some birds hopping around in my aunts garden, those birds happen to have been robins, and it was decided a good month before her birth that the newest member of our family would be called Robin.

You plan and prep for this new tiny human to enter the world and often find like me that the hardest decision is just finding a name that’s perfect, I never liked my name, I still don’t.. I also hated the fact that my first name and second name share the same start letter, While we have Dominic for a boy, we are still stuck on any future girl names.. we cannot agree on anything but I guess that’s one of the fun things about being a parent… indecisiveness

What names do you have picked out for any future children, or are you a little like me and are completely stumped!

1. March 2, 2018 / 2:51 pm

Wow this is such a true post! It must be so hard to pick a name your child will live with forever.

March 2, 2018 / 4:21 pm

I know, plus sometimes names match people and its hard to find a name perfect for someone who you haven’t even met yet

2. March 2, 2018 / 3:43 pm

I loved the stories about how you came up with your children’s names! I especially love the name Amelia!

March 2, 2018 / 4:23 pm

I love them too, some people have some wonderful tales of how they decided on names

3. March 2, 2018 / 6:14 pm

Kai was really easy for us, I already knew I wanted that name and Tom agreed. For Arya I wanted Luna but he wasnt 100%, we both liked Arya.

4. March 2, 2018 / 8:07 pm

This is great! We hadn’t chose Theodore’s name until he was 2 days old, we just had NO idea whatsoever. But now Theodore just fits him so well. We loved Zachary throughout our pregnancy but nearer the end it fizzled out!

Much love, Caitylis x x
    caitylis.co.uk

March 5, 2018 / 9:23 am

I love the name Theo for a girl, but its convincing my husband as he thinks it sounds silly

5. March 3, 2018 / 4:15 am

We’ve had this conversation given we are in the adoption process and it was surprising how easily we can by names we both liked! That being said, we won’t settle for sure on anything until there’s a child in our arms and we see what really suits them
    Britt | http://alternativelyspeaking.ca

March 5, 2018 / 9:24 am

thats pretty much what happened with Amelia and Robin, the midwife placed them onto my chest and asked if we had any names and it felt right x good luck with your adoption x

6. March 3, 2018 / 11:05 am

Amelia is a beautiful name. I can’t imagine picking a baby name, if must be so hard! I struggle with pet names. 🤣

7. March 3, 2018 / 7:29 pm

I found choosing a boys name so hard, I was so fussy!

8. Rebecca Greenway
    March 3, 2018 / 8:38 pm

I love the names you have picked. Gorgeous names x

9. March 4, 2018 / 11:35 am

Jack and I struggled to agree on a name for so long! When we finally did it was about a week before Tyler was born!! But if we ever have another baby we’re screwed as we don’t like each other’s choices haha!

10. March 4, 2018 / 3:24 pm

Picking a name surely is such a hard topic! You definitely picked lovely ones though 🙂 Xx

11. March 4, 2018 / 9:53 pm

It’s so hard picking a name, I know that my sister had so many arguments choosing a name 🙂 xx

Yasmina | The July Journal

12. March 5, 2018 / 7:50 am

We really struggled picking a name. And all the names we had for a boy first time around, I hated second time around.

13. March 5, 2018 / 9:41 am

In my imaginary world I have all the potential baby names picked out but my mum always said they may come out looking like an Alan so you never know!!

14. March 5, 2018 / 10:26 am

I’d be so scared to have this responsibility! x

15. March 5, 2018 / 10:46 am

We couldn’t agree on a name for Hayden until he’d been born! Nothing seemed right for us both until he came out and we just settled on it! x

16. March 7, 2018 / 8:25 pm

From the moment we decided we wanted another baby, we knew what we were gonna call our little boy. When the possibility of having a girl we panicked because we couldn’t decide on a girls name!

Luckily we are having a boy. I’m sure that once the need for a name rises you will know exactly what to call a little girl.

Jade

17. March 26, 2018 / 11:01 pm

Me and my bf struggled enough to name my cat let alone a child lol!